Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I hope everyone is having a fabulous Sunday!
Our’s has been great and we’ve just been relaxing, enjoying our anniversary. I’ll fill you guys in on all that later…. I’m strictly here for business today.
This recipe is somewhat special to me, simply because it taunted me. I have tried about 10 variations of chocolate zucchini cake recipes out there, with no luck getting it to the taste and consistency that I wanted. I have been trying to perfect it forever and it never comes out right.
That is, until now.
As usual, I ended up taking the best aspects of a couple different recipes, and after some playing around – I don’t want to brag or anything, but… – it has been perfected! Just the right amount of sweet, moist (hate that word), dense, and fluffy all at the same time!
Now before we get all into this recipe – know three things.
1) Whether you consider this a cake or brownies, make sure you have a plan where you can rid some of this bad boy right away. Meaning, make it for a gathering, pack half of it up and bring it work for coworkers – whatever. If it is sitting on your counter at home, you will eat it all.
2) The chocolate chips make this. They are a very important part. Though chocolate chips are typically a preference thing (semi sweet, milk chocolate, etc) using these are the most important part. The mix of the smooth, milk chocolate, and also the size that the Ghirardelli chips offer (they are big mamma-jammas) makes them 100% perfect. Trust me, I did a lot of experimenting.
3) If you have ever baked with zucchini before, this probably doesnt sound weird to you – but if you are thinking it sounds really strange (Torrance was skeptical that the zucchini would ruin his beloved chocolate), you dont notice it. It’s simple there to give the cake a great, moist texture. Promise.
With that being said – I present to you:
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Yield: one 9×13 rectangular cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of baking cocoa (I used Hershey’s)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely grated/shredded zucchini (about 2-3 zucchinis)
- 2 cups Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips (see above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease/spray 9×13 inch cake pan
- In medium bowl; combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg with fork. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl; cream butter, apple sauce, and sugar with mixer (I always used my handy dandy electric hand mixer) until combined. Add in eggs one at a time, beating in between.
- Add oil and vanilla to sugar/butter/egg mixture and beat until combined.
- With large spoon, gradually stir flour mixture into liquid mixture and stir until completely combined and smooth.
- Peel zucchini (I use potato peeler) and grate/shred very finely. You can use a food processor, or whatever works. I used the fine side of a cheese grater and it works perfectly and only took a few minutes. Measure out 2 cups (you may need up to 3 zucchini, depending on the size of them) and fold into batter. Batter will resemble a fluffy mousse.
- Spread batter evenly into cake pan. Sprinkle generously with chocolate chips and bake for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Ever bake with zucchini?
- Have any recipes with a strange (but important) ingredient that doesnt seem to go?